Region Overview: Greater Los Angeles Region
The Los Angeles area is home to more charter schools than anywhere in the country, many of which are also among the highest-performing public schools in California. Charter schools continue to grow in response to demand from parents for high-quality school options.
About one out of five charter schools in California is located in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). The full diversity of the charter school movement can be seen in Los Angeles, which is home to many small independent start-up schools, district schools that converted into charter schools, as well as larger networks of schools. LA charter schools offer different approaches and themes including college preparatory curricula, programs emphasizing math, science or the performing arts and schools that prioritize personalization of the learning experience through site based and distance learning programs, among others.
How many charter schools are in L.A.? What are the racial demographics of the students? How many charter graduates qualify for college admission? This overview uses data to tell the story of charter schools in Los Angeles in 2015.
Closing the Achievement Gap
LA charter schools are making a difference to close the achievement gap in Los Angeles.
- Overview: Los Angeles Charter Public Schools
- Fact Sheet: Los Angeles Charter Schools and College-Readiness
LA charters have partnered with the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) to improve local public schools through programs like Public School Choice.
Los Angeles Campaign: Telling the Charter School Story
Despite high levels of awareness and support for charter schools, not enough Californians have experience with charters schools nor do they know how charters are changing lives and communities. We need to change that. As a result we are running a campaign in conjunction with our members to share the charter school story in LA. Members, learn more.
Greater Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Ventura
Besides the charter schools located in LAUSD, about 300 charter schools serve families in communities across LA county. As of 2016, Santa Barbara county was home to 9 charter schools with 12 charter schools located in Ventura county.
LA charter schools have been honored by many different organizations and many are Title I Distinguished Schools, California Distinguished Schools and even National Blue Ribbon Schools.
Every year, CCSA gives out Hart Vision Awards to recognize excellence from across the state. There have been many past winners from Los Angeles. Click through to see the videos.
Charter School of the Year
- Camino Nuevo Charter Academy, Los Angeles (2015)
- Fenton Avenue Charter School, Los Angeles (2013)
- Gabriella Charter School, Los Angeles (2012)
- Dr. Olga Mohan High School, Los Angeles (2011)
- Renaissance Arts Academy, Los Angeles (2010)
- Our Community School, Los Angeles (2009)
- Synergy Charter Academy, Los Angeles (2008)
- Watts Learning Center, Los Angeles (2007)
- View Park Prep Accelerated School, Los Angeles (2004)
Charter School Site Volunteer of the Year
- Tommy and Cherly Kitahata, Meadows Arts and Technology Elementary School, Thousand Oaks (2013)
- Erika Higgins Ross, WISH Charter School, Los Angeles (2012)
- Lindsay Sturman, Larchmont Charter School, Los Angeles (2009)
- Jeanne Adams, University Preparation School, Camarillo (2007)
- Dan Ardell, Camino Nuevo Charter Academy, Los Angeles (2004)
Charter School Principal/Leader of the Year
- Judy Burton, founding president and CEO of Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (2015)
- Jackie Elliot, Founder and CEO, Partnership to Uplift Communities (PUC), Los Angeles (2013)
- Sharon Weir, New West Charter School, Los Angeles (2009)
- Brian Bauer, Granada Hills Charter High School, Los Angeles (2008)
- Mike Piscal, View Park Preparatory Accelerated Charter School, Los Angeles (2004)
- Johnathan Williams and Kevin Sved, The Accelerated School, Los Angeles (2001)
Charter School Teacher of the Year
- Genein Letford, NEW Academy Canoga Park, Canoga Park (2015)
- Jeanne Saiza, Palisades Charter High School, Los Angeles (2013)
- Meredith Dadigan, Aspire Titan Academy, Los Angeles (2011)
- Christina Hoppe, Granada Hills Charter High School, Los Angeles (2009)
- Jennifer Epps, Synergy Charter Academy, Los Angeles (2007)
- Brad Koepenick, CALS, Los Angeles (2005-2006)
Start a Charter in the Los Angeles Area
As CCSA's designated School Development and Support representative for the area, Josue Cofresi understands the unique charter school landscape you face and can support you with the necessary skills and resources to start a high-quality charter school. Learn more.
- Los Angeles Unified School District Charter Division
- Los Angeles County Office of Education Charter Office
- Ventura County Office of Education's Charter Schools Division page
For information on special education throughout the region, check out SELPAs that are serving schools in our region:
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
You will receive our quarterly Community Newsletter with news about your region!
From Our Blog
February 16, 2019
In preparation for a strike by the Oakland Education Association (OEA) in the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD), CCSA has
February 14, 2019
The 26th Annual California Charter Schools Conference will feature over 150 breakout sessions, poster sessions, plenaries, networking opportunities and more!