CCSA Answers: Retroactively entering into an Independent Study contact

  • Print

January 22, 2019 Question: Can independent study be recorded for a student retroactively?

Answer: No. An independent study agreement must be drawn up for a student prior to the beginning of independent study instruction. The signatures of the student or their legal guardian, and the certificated employee responsible for supervising the independent study, must be affixed to an IS agreement before independent study attendance is recorded for the student, if he or she is under the age of 18. Additionally, independent study attendance for a student cannot be claimed prior to the date of the signatures on the agreement and the adoptions of independent study board policies by the school's governing board in accordance with Section 51747 of the Education Code.

Read Education Code 51747 here.