CCSA Answers: Responding to Authorizer Questions About School Immigration Policies
June 4, 2018 Question: Our authorizer has asked to review our charter school's immigration policies. What guidance is available?
Answer: California Attorney General Xavier Becerra recently issued "Promoting a Safe and Secure Learning Environment for All: Guidance and Model Policies to Assist California K-12 Schools in Responding to Immigration Issues." This Guidance applies to all K-12 public schools, including charter public schools. The goal of the Guidance is to ensure "public schools remain safe and accessible to all California residents, regardless of immigration status." By July 1, 2018, all schools must have policies in place, to address the following:
- Gathering and Handling Student and Family Information
- Sharing Student and Family Information
- Responding to Requests for Access to School Grounds for Immigration-Enforcement Purposes
- Responding to the Detention or Deportation of a Student's Family Member
- Responding to Hate Crimes and Bullying Related to National Origin or Ethnicity.
The Guidance includes sample language for foundational policies reflecting the abovementioned requirements.