CCSA Answers: Does "AB 1639: Pupil health: The Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act" Apply to Charter Schools?
January 19, 2018 Question: Does "AB 1639: Pupil health: The Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act" (AB 1639) apply to charter public schools?
Answer: Yes, charter public schools must comply with AB 1639 as the bill clearly mentions charters and outlines the following requirements:
- Any public, private, or charter school that elects to conduct athletic activities, must have the participating student's parent or guardian, sign and return an acknowledgment of receipt for an information sheet on sudden cardiac arrest each school year before the student participates in an athletic activity, as specified.
- An athletic director, coach, athletic trainer or authorized person, as defined, to remove from participation a student who passes out or faints while participating in or immediately following an athletic activity, and would require a coach of an athletic activity to complete a sudden cardiac arrest training course every other school year.
- A student who is removed from play shall not be permitted to return to participate in an athletic activity until the student is evaluated and cleared to return to participate in writing by a physician and surgeon, or a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- Penalties to be imposed on and after July 1, 2019, for a violation of the provision requiring a coach to complete a sudden cardiac arrest training course.
- A coach of an athletic activity shall complete the sudden cardiac arrest training course and shall retake the training course every two years thereafter. A coach of an athletic activity shall not be eligible to coach an athletic activity until the coach completes the training course required.
In addition, before a student participates in any school-sponsored, athletic activity, the student and the student's parent/guardian must review, sign, and return a sudden cardiac arrest acknowledgment information sheet to the student's school of attendance. A sample Parent/Guardian and Pupil Sudden Cardiac Arrest Warning Signs and Symptoms Information and Acknowledgment Form is available here.
Read about AB 1639 here: