SELPA Informational Meetings!
September 6, 2016 Charter schools interested in applying to a new SELPA for the 2017 - 2018 school year should reach out to those SELPAs now for application packages and dates for upcoming informational meetings.
In addition to your local SELPA options, there are 4 charter-only SELPAs in California. Below please find links to some of the charter SELPA websites as well as dates for informational meetings:
- El Dorado County Charter SELPA - Potential new member information sessions on September 23 (Bay Area) and January 11th (TBD).
- Sonoma County Charter SELPA
- Desert-Mountain Charter SELPA - Potential new member information session on October 18th (Apple Valley). Click here to register.
Under California law, charter schools have two options for special education: operating as a school of their authorizer for special education, or operating as their own LEA for purposes of special education.
When a charter school determines that it is ready to take on the full responsibility for all special education on their campus, the next step is to seek LEA status for special education. The following is a timeline for becoming an LEA for special education:
- Assess your readiness to become an LEA with a Special Education Self-Assessment Checklist;
- Notify your current SELPA and the California Department of Education of your intended exit at least one year and a day (June 30th of the year before you'd like to begin operating as your own LEA);
- Ensure that agreements with your authorizer are conducive to membership in a new SELPA;
- Develop programmatic capacity and infrastructure necessary to serve all students;
- Weigh the different SELPA options according to the needs of your school and students; and
- Apply to the SELPA (s) that best meet those needs.
If you have any questions or would like guidance on your SELPA membership application, please contact Brigette Dutra, Special Education Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.