CCSA Answers: Changing a Charter School's Funding Designation

  • Print

November 6, 2014

Question: What is the process for changing a school's funding designation from local to direct?

Answer: Each year charter schools receive notification to complete the "Charter Schools Annual Information Survey" from the CDE. This is generally sent no later than mid-May. Charter schools have the option of changing their funding status from local to direct, or vice versa, through the Survey. More information on the Survey is available at In addition, such a change may be considered a "material revision" to your charter petition requiring approval from the authorizer's governing body, in accordance with California Education Code ยง47607(a)(1). You should review your charter petition and check with your authorizer to determine whether a material revision is required.