CCSA Answers: Requiring a Release in Writing from a Student's Resident District

  • Print

August 15, 2014

Question: We are a conversion charter school. Must we require any student coming from another district's attendance area to be released in writing from their resident district?

Answer: No. Under the Charter Schools Act, charter schools can accept any student from any district in California. There are no attendance area restrictions and there is no need for a formal release from the student's resident district. Students must follow your charter school's enrollment procedure and may be accepted if there is an opening. If there are more applicants than available spaces, students should be accepted via an open lottery system, with preferences given to students who reside in the original attendance area of your conversion school, and any other preferences you have documented in your petition, enrollment policies and the MOU with your authorizer.