CCSA Answers: Charter Schools and Pupil Personnel Services Credentials

  • Print

August 8, 2014

Question: Do charter school counselors have to have their Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential?

Answer: No. The only credential requirements for charter schools are for "core" and "college prep" courses. Education Code Section 47605(l) states that teachers in charter schools are required to hold a Commission on Teacher Credentialing certificate, permit, or other document equivalent to that which a teacher in other public schools would be required to hold. The statute also states that it is the intent of the Legislature that charter schools be given flexibility with regard to noncore, non-college preparatory courses. As a result, administrators and non-teaching staff in a charter school are not required to be credentialed. Reference Education Code 47605 (I) here: