CCSA Answers: Retroactively Entering Into an Independent Study Contract

  • Print

November 7, 2013

Question: Can independent study be recorded for a student retroactively?

Answer: No. An independent study agreement must be drawn up for a student prior to the beginning of independent study instruction. The signatures of the pupil, his legal guardian and the certificated employee responsible for supervising the independent study, must be affixed to an IS agreement before independent study attendance is recorded for the student. Additionally, independent study attendance for a student cannot be claimed prior to the date of the signatures on the agreement and the adoptions of independent study board policies by the school's governing board in accordance with Section 51747 of the Education Code.

Read the Education Code here

Find more reference materials, resources and templates in our online Charter School Resource Library. Still can't find what you need? Contact the CCSA Help Desk with your question.