Don't Miss the First Renewal Webinar this Week!
June 10, 2013 Over the past few years, an increasing number of charter schools across the state have faced difficulty when seeking renewal of their charters - from district authorizers delaying the renewal process so there isn't enough time for appeal to school board members voting against the renewal of charters with strong track records.
The Association wants to give you the support you need to be prepared for success! We strongly suggest that petitioning schools submit their renewal petitions early. If you are planning to petition in the 2013-14 school year, aim to submit your renewal by September 1, if at all possible.
We are offering a series of webinars with the critical information you need to be successful in your renewal:
- Overview of the Renewal Process: June 14, 1 pm - 3 pm, hosted by Lisa Corr, Young, Minney & Corr LLC
- Using Achievement Data: June 20, 10 am - 12 pm
- Garnering Political Support for Renewal: June 25, 10 am - 12 pm
To ensure that your time is best spent in these webinars, you may wish to do a little preparation in advance. Specifically:
Review your initial petition, making note of:
- The outcomes that your school did and did not meet,
- Plans to accomplish even better results in the future, and
- Resources or autonomy that your school may need to put a new plan into place.
Identify the person that will lead/coordinate your school's renewal efforts, and begin drafting a plan to inform and engage your stakeholders (such as parents, your school's board, and students) in the renewal process.
Refresh your understanding of the essential steps of the renewal process and your authorizer expectations. (While CCSA's online Renewal Resources are a good starting point for this, you may also want to reach out to your particular district).
Besides technical support, CCSA is happy to work with you on your advocacy strategy and community outreach. Don't hesitate to be in touch!