Central Valley Charter School Accomplishments
January 4, 2013 Before we completely jump into the new year, let's take a look back at past Central Valley charter school accomplishments. This is not an all inclusive list so apologies if I've left out information about your school. It's not too late though, send me information on the successes of your school and I'll do all I can to include them in future Weekly Member Digests. Thank you to all of you that helped contribute to developing this list.
- University High School has been ranked as one of the top schools in the United States for several years by Newsweek magazine, the Washington Post, and US News and World Report.
- The New Spirit Charter Academy serving primary students is one of the newest charter schools in Fresno having just opened its doors to students for the first time on September 4th.
- The University High School Academic Decathlon team has won 6 straight National Championships.
- At Big Picture High School BSK Laboratories is assisting in the development of a new Science Lab that will allow students to engage in research and experimentation on a personal interest level.
- Valley Life in Tulare County was the first place winner in the Step Up Awards.
- The captain of Fresno State's women's volleyball team is a Hallmark graduate.
- All University High Schools perform on stage one night at Saroyan Theatre each year.
- Students at University High School attend school on the campus of Fresno State University.
- Valley Prep was a 2011 Character Education Partnership State School of Character and a National Finalist.
- Valley Prep won the 2012 Bonner Center for Character Education (FSU), Virtues and Character Education Award.
- The Hallmark Charter School Academic Decathlon Team won the 2011 State and National Championships for Medium Schools.
- In 2011 Valley Prep made AYP in both math and English LA, and gained 25 API points.
- Sherman Thomas Charter School in Madera has a greenhouse that students use as a hands on science lab.
- Sherman Thomas parent's volunteer 4,510 hours on average per school year.
- Big Picture High School-Fresno is one of 70 Big Picture Schools in the U.S. recognized by President Obama for engaging students in real world experiences of their own choosing, thereby making education relevant to each student.
- Hume Lake Charter School, in eastern Fresno County, sits a mile high in the
- Sequoia National Forest. The charter school, one of the smallest, was initiated by local residents who faced the choice of either home schooling their children or having students take a ninety minute ride to and from the nearest public school each day.
Central Valley Winter 2013 regional meetings are happening the first week of February
The Central Valley Regional Charter Leader Meetings are just around the corner. The times, locations and link to RSVP are listed below. These meeting are an important part of our engagement with our schools and provide charter leaders the opportunity to connect with each other. Hopefully you are planning to attend or please send a designee if you are unable to make it.
- The Modesto area meeting will once again be held at the Stanislaus County Office of Education on Monday February 4th from 9 am to 12 pm at 1100 H St Modesto, CA 95354 in the Knight's Ferry room. Please pre-register for the meeting here.
- The Fresno area meeting will be held on Tuesday February 5th from 9 am to 12 pm at the University of California, Fresno Center at 550 E Shaw Ave. Fresno, CA 93710 in the Inyo/Kern room. Please pre-register for the meeting here.
- The Bakersfield area meeting will be held on Thursday February 7th from 9 am to 12 pm at the Kern County Superintendent of School's Larry E. Reider Education Center at 2000 K St. Bakersfield, CA 93301 room # 201 The parking entrance is located on 20th street and guests are to park on the 3rd level. Please pre-register for the meeting here.