Start Planning Special Education for 2013-14 Now!
October 5, 2012 If your school is dissatisfied with your current special education funding or service delivery arrangements, now is the time to begin planning alternative arrangements for next year. Charter schools seeking increased independence and greater access to funding for special education should consider seeking status as a local educational agency (LEA) for special education by securing membership in a special education local plan area (SELPA).
To join a new SELPA during the 2013-14 school year, there are a number of steps that your school must take:
- Ensure that agreements with your authorizer are conducive to membership in a new SELPA
- Weigh the different SELPA options according to the needs of your school and students
- Attend a presentation for potential new members at the El Dorado Charter SELPA on October 15 or the Sonoma County Charter SELPA on October 16
- Submit a SELPA membership application by January 2013
Because CCSA understands that this can be a complicated and often confusing process, we are here to provide guidance and support along the way. We encourage you to take advantage of the resources the Association offers to its members:
- Free Special Education 101 and Special Education 201 webinars to learn more about what it means to become an LEA for special education purposes
- Online resources to help you evaluate your readiness for LEA status
- Assistance with your SELPA application
- Support and advocacy in working with your authorizer and SELPA
If you have questions about your school's specific special education arrangements or options, please contact your Regional Director for additional guidance.