Major Rally at LAUSD Oct. 9! Planning call on Oct. 3
September 26, 2012 Thank you to all that were able to join the Sept. 26 check in call for the update on the resolution proposed by Board Member Steve Zimmer (Updating Charter Authorizing and Oversight).
As mentioned on the call, a group of charter leaders met with Board Member Steve Zimmer yesterday to discuss the language of his resolution and the impediments this resolution would have on charter schools and parental choice. Zimmer shared verbally that his resolution was going to reflect the updated amendments:
- Elimination of ISIS will be replaced with some language about sharing data information between charter public schools and the district
- Charter School Commission will be implemented but it is unclear what this will encompass
- Moratorium language will still exist
The vote is still scheduled to take place on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 12 p.m. at LAUSD. Families That Can is organizing a rally against Zimmer's anti-parent resolution. We are encouraging all of your schools to participate and come out in force on October 9. We will continue to communicate logistics for day of as they are confirmed, but know that we are closing the street in front of LAUSD down!
The goal is to have 3,000 supporters join us Tuesday morning. If your parents would like to have the opportunity to sit inside the board meeting, we recommend they arrive 8 a.m. LAUSD will likely set up monitors in the cafeteria for overflow so that attendees who can't make it into the meeting will still be able to watch. We will hold a rally outside the board room at 11 a.m.
Bus reimbursement cost will be available again for all those schools that join us on October 9. Just fill out and send in this reimbursement form.
Please continue to encourage your families to call, email, fax or sign the petition available on our Families That Can website.
- Access the full tool kit, which has been updated with a flyer with the rally information and a robo-call script.
If you have any questions about the toolkit, please feel free to contact the FTC team:
Thank you to the schools that have already committed to bringing a bus of supporters on Tuesday, October 9th :
- Aspire - Antonio Maria Lugo Academy
- Los Angeles Leadership Academy
- Santa Monica Charter
- Futuro College Prep Charter
- Academia Semillas Charter
Parents from across Los Angeles have also been speaking out in the local media against this resolution. Read what they have to say and show them support by posting your comments or having your school community share their stories on the forum!
- Multiple Parents, Renaissance Arts Academy
- Josefina Vargas, LA Leadership Academy
- Jana Harper, Our Community School
Please join us next Wednesday to get the latest updates on the resolution and logistics for October 9th.
What: Charter Leader Call to Plan for Oct 9th Rally Against Zimmer Resolution
When: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Call-In: (605) 562-3000 x 886660
Corri Tate Ravare
Executive Director, Families That Can
Los Angeles Managing Regional Director, CCSA