Remember to Vote Tomorrow!
June 4, 2012 Were you planning to get out and vote tomorrow? I certainly hope so! In addition to the primary elections, there is also a very important race for Sacramento County Office of Education board members that you need to care about. Let me tell you why...
The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) plays a critical role in providing legal and financial advice, and oversight for the 13 school districts located within Sacramento County. The county office also provides support in key areas of curriculum and instruction, vocational education, and operates court and community schools.
SCOE also plays an important role in the authorization and oversight of charter public schools. There are approximately 40 charter schools located in Sacramento County, serving more than 23,000 kids. A 7-member Board of Education governs SCOE, and makes key policy decisions, including the fate of some charter schools. The public elects the board members by trustee area.
On Tuesday, 3 seats are up for election:
Trustee Area 4
- Candidates: Eleanor Brown (Appointee), a retired teacher and principal; and Estelle Lemieux (Challenger), a CTA budget lobbyist.
- Representing the communities of Orangevale, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, and a portion of Carmichael.
- School districts: a major portion of San Juan Unified and a small portion of Twin Rivers Unified.
Trustee Area 5
- Candidates: Anthony Andrade Jr., a civil engineer and rancher; Heather McGowan, a business owner; Edith Crawford, educational consultant; and Penny Schwinn, founder & principal of Capitol Collegiate Academy.
- Representing the communities of Alder Creek, Bridge House, Folsom, Gold River, Mather, Mills, Natoma, Nimbus, Rancho Cordova, Rancho Murieta, Rosemont, Sloughhouse, Walsh Station, and a portion of Vineyard.
- School districts: small portions of Elk Grove Unified, Sacramento City Unified, and San Juan Unified, and all of Folsom Cordova Unified.
Trustee Area 7
- Candidates: Harold Fong (Incumbent), Program Manager for the CA Dept. of Health Care Services; and, Christine Shipman (Challenger), Manager with First 5 County Commission.
- Representing the communities of Freeport, Fruitridge, Greenhaven, Meadowview, Oak Park, Parkway, Pocket, and portions of Executive Airport, South Land Park, and Valley Hi.
- School districts: a small portion of Elk Grove Unified and a large portion of Sacramento City Unified.
Visit the Sacramento Bee for more detail on these candidates.
Special interest groups have pledged to make these races for the board of education a top priority for political spending and mobilization for the June 2012 election. Will you make it a priority as well?
Laura A. Kerr
Managing Regional Director, Capitol & Central Valley