CCSA Answers: CLAD Requirements

  • Print

November 28, 2011

Question: Do part-time vocational teachers have to be Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certified?

Answer: Part-time vocational teachers at a charter school must to be CLAD certified if they are providing instruction in either of the following two categories that require the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) authorization:

  1. English Language Development: Instruction designed to promote the effective and efficient acquisition of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills of the EL student; also known as English as a Second Language (ESL) or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
  2. Specially Designed Academic Instruction Delivered in English (SDAIE): An instructional approach designed to increase the level of comprehensibility of the English language in the content area of the class.

Download a PDF from the Commision on Teacher Credentialing for details on how to earn the CCTC's English Language Learner Authorization/CLAD Certificate

Learn more on the page CLAD requirements. Find more reference materials, resources and templates in our online Charter School Resource Library. Still can't find what you need? Contact the CCSA Help Desk with your question.