CCSA Answers: License for Operating an After School Program

  • Print

July 27, 2011
Question: Are charter schools required to have a license to provide after school care?

Answer: No, there are no licensing requirements necessary for a charter school to operate an after school program. However, those schools that operate after school programs using the state's After School Education and Safety program (ASES), the federal 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC)-Elementary and Middle Schools, or the 21st Century High School After School Safety and Enrichment for Teens (ASSETS) grants are subject to specific operating requirements, and staff/teacher qualifications.

We've answered this member-submitted question, and provided additional context, in "How to Start an After School Program."