Early Submission: Key to Renewal Success
June 13, 2011 As you prepare for renewal, we just wanted to remind you of CCSA's recommend submission date and Association resources that can help you prepare for a successful renewal.
The Association recommends that you submit your renewal petition and related documents early--by September 15, 2011, if at all possible. In recent years, we have seen an increasing number of charter schools (even those with strong track records) struggle through renewal. In some cases, districts drag out the renewal process, forcing renewing schools to make concessions as a condition for approval. In other cases, authorizers have made the renewal process increasingly arduous, piling on seemingly arbitrary, time-consuming conditions for approval--most of which are not required by law.
The single most important action that schools can take to avoid such renewal challenges is to submit renewal documents early.
Related Association Resources Supporting schools through the renewal process continues to be a high priority for the Association. We have several renewal resources available to members, including a series of webinars targeted to the needs of renewing schools. Please register to attend:
- Renewal, A Legal Perspective (offered in partnership with Middleton, Young and Minney's Lisa Corr): Friday, June 17, 9:00 - 11:00 p.m.
- Data and Renewal: Tuesday, June 28, 10:00 a.m. - noon
- Garnering Support for Renewal: Thursday, June 30, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.
To ensure that your time is best spent in these webinars, you may wish to do a little preparation in advance of the first workshop. Specifically:
- Refresh your understanding of the essential steps of the renewal process and authorizer expectations. The Association's online Renewal Resources can help.
- Review your initial petition. Highlight the outcomes that you intended to meet and note any changes that you would like to make in your renewal petition.