CCSA Answers: Surplus Property under SB 1016

  • Print

August 16, 2012

Question: May any charter school, even a charter school authorized by another district, submit a request for surplus property, under SB 1016?

Answer: Yes. The law includes the language "any interested charter school." This means that even charter schools authorized by another district may submit a request. There are legal barriers, however, that could prevent a charter school authorized by another district, to operate in the district with the surplus property. These barriers may keep the charter school from moving forward with the surplus property request. However, any charter school, including an Independent Study school, seeking a resource center facility, is permitted to submit a notice of interest to any district with surplus property.

Learn more in the article, in "District Surplus Property Guidance" on

Read the text of SB 1610

Find more reference materials, resources and templates in our online Charter School Resource Library. Still can't find what you need? Contact the CCSA Help Desk with your question.