2012-13 New Schools Press Kit
October 23, 2012
In the fall of 2012-13, California saw 109 new charter schools opening their doors at the beginning of the school year. The number of new schools pushed the total of charter schools in California to 1,065, the largest number of charters in any state in the country. California charter student enrollment grew more than 17% in 2012-13 such that charters now serve more than 484,083 students statewide.
Despite this incredible growth, more than 70,000 students remained on charter school waiting lists in 2011-12 due to space limitations.
Not only is parent demand increasing for charters, but the public's perception of charter schools is unquestionably positive. In a 2012 statewide poll of California voters, 49.3% of respondents favor charter schools. And respondents continue to assign substantially higher grades (an A or B) to charter schools and CA teachers than to CA public schools and teachers unions.
- CCSA's press release
- Fact Sheet on 2012-13 New Schools (also available in Spanish)
- Fact Sheet on 2012 Statewide Public Opinion Poll (also available in Spanish)
- Number of new charter schools and total schools as well as enrollment by county (xls)
- List of new schools that opened in California in the 2012-13 school year (xls)
- List of schools that closed in 2011-12 (xls)
The California Charter Schools Association offers a variety of supports for teams planning and preparing to open charter schools. Visit the "Starting a Charter" section of our website for access to information about how to open a charter school, or the "Membership" section for details about the specialized services CCSA can provide school developers.
Press ContactCaity Heim
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: