Broadband Infrastructure Grant
The K-12 High Speed Network (K12HSN) will allocate $26.7 million for broadband infrastructure grants for those schools, including direct-funded charter public schools that do not have sufficient network capacity to implement Common Core computer based assessments in the spring of 2015. The K12HSN is developing a School Site Eligibility List (SSEL), based on data provided by county offices of education, results of the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, and data collection efforts on hardships by the K12HSN. The list of potential eligible schools sites will be published on K12HSN's website (http://www.k12hsn.org) on September 2, 2014.
The School Site Eligibility List will be released once it is finalized in early September. If a direct-funded charter school is not on the list but believes it should be, it will have an opportunity to self-nominate, by filling out a short application, which will also be available in early September. K12HSN will contact these charter schools to confirm their eligibility. If they are, K12HSN will identify possible technical solutions and obtain cost estimates to make necessary improvements to their broadband connections. Each site will be scored and ranked, and awards will be announced in fall 2014. If there is insufficient funding to serve all eligible applicants, a funding priority based on overall score, in descending order, will be applied until all funds are exhausted.
The timeline for the Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grants is as follows:
- August 5-29, 2014--Develop the SSEL in conjunction with COEs
- August 25, 2014--Release of Official Announcement to the field
- August 18-October 30, 2014--SSEL Site Validation
- September 2-30, 2014--School District and Direct-Funded Charter School Self-Nomination period (COEs can assist)
- October 1-30, 2014--Scoring and ranking of school sites within the SSEL
- September-November 2014--Exploration of technical solutions
- November-December 2014--Fund projects for school sites on the SSEL
- November 2014-June 2015--Implementation of solutions
For more information, please visit: http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/pn/im/infomemoaug2014.asp
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
February 16, 2019
In preparation for a strike by the Oakland Education Association (OEA) in the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD), CCSA has
February 14, 2019
The 26th Annual California Charter Schools Conference will feature over 150 breakout sessions, poster sessions, plenaries, networking opportunities and more!